Tuesday, January 06, 2015

holiday mode

Creeping out of holiday mode is a little difficult when you live in a holiday house. Regardless of the fact that it's our permanent home, the laid-back nature of our local area isn't overly conducive to work and routine.

It's becoming increasingly clear that sand is going to be a constant in our lives. Regardless of how strict we are with washing our feet (outside) and taking showers (inside) upon return from the beach, sand makes its way into every crevice of our home. It's literally everywhere. Whilst I could spend my days cleaning the minutiae, I have chosen instead to accept it for what it is; sand is part and parcel of living so close to the sea.

Relinquishing a little control and accepting things for what they are is new for me. And I must admit, it's a much easier, more enjoyable way to live. Whilst there's always a load of washing on the line or waiting to be folded (it really is never ending, isn't it?) and a stack of dishes waiting for suds, I've started the New Year with the belief that often, I'm better off sitting down with a book or going for a walk that worrying about the fact that the house is in disarray.

Sure, it's a holiday mentality but why can't it become a holiday routine - for the next few weeks, at least. It reminds me a little of the Zen proverb:

When walking, walk
When eating, eat

When it's summer and the kids are on holidays and routine isn't necessary...

swim, read, sleep, be.


18 COMMENTS

  1. Replies
    1. I do love that proverb for its simplicity; the ultimate practise in mindfulness x

      Delete
  2. Hi Jodhi,
    I read this article on simplicity this morning and as it was a bit different thought I'd share it here;
    http://www.dailygood.org/story/947/10-ways-to-live-simply-in-2015-duane-elgin/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing x

      Delete
  3. Envious of your proximity to the ocean! We have a 20-min drive to get to ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We keep pinching ourselves (it's nice not to have sand in the car, too) x

      Delete
  4. Those are very wise words to live by. You can't live by the sea and not have sand in your life.....the best thing is to enjoy every minute of sweeping up that sand and know that your children's memories of this time will be happy ones. I would love to live by the ocean...it always calms me and heals me.

    Hope this new year is a beautifully wonderful one for all of you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very envious! Due to ferocious bushfires, many of us in Southern Australia have barely had a chance to enjoy the new year holiday period! Everyone is on edge and anxious, volunteers exhausted and heavy hearts are abound. I know envy is ugly but I hope the type and time for relaxation that you speak of can be enjoyed by all - sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ever since I was a child, bush fires have scared me. Nothing quite as anxiety-inducing as a hot, dry summer. I hope you get rain soon...and then, relax x

      Delete
  6. We just spent a week at a beach house and like you were overwhelmed with the amount of sand! EVERYWHERE. I adore the beach though, so I guess it is a small price to pay for daily beauty of the ocean x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very small price and no doubt, in winter, there will be much less of it x

      Delete
  7. Dear Jodi,
    I’m fascinated by your blog! First of all, my warmest New Year wishes to all your family! It seems to be very nice to live by the sea. In the place where I live the winters are very cold. Having read your post I felt warmth of a summer day, which was really nice. I enjoyed your words about acceptance of the sand )))
    Let me share a really great free app I've recently discovered. It is called Carde at www.carde-app.com. All image content of top social networks is there, so it saves time. Hope, you will enjoy Carde:) I will be looking forward to your feedback and will be very glad when this app brings more joy and smiles into your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really struggle with the sand through the house, even after all this time, though admittedly, the kids are pretty good. I make them strip off and rinse with the hose before coming in (via the laundry), an outdoor shower is on our list! living by the sea is a dream I never thought would be a reality, ever, so a little sand here and there really needs to be a happy reminder for me x

    ReplyDelete

© 2014 Jodi Wilson. You may not take images or content from this site without written permission.