Thursday, November 05, 2015

simple food : cheese muffins




This is one of those recipes that my nana knew off by heart but had the decency to jot down on a piece of paper. The recipe ended up with my mum who makes these bite-sized morsels for every gathering or birthday party and will often surprise me with a batch of them to put in the kid's lunchboxes (thanks mum). Personally, I think these muffins are best on the side of a big bowl of soup (especially pumpkin, which is way back in the archives!).

Cheese Muffins 

1 cup of plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon chicken stock
salt + pepper
1 cup of grated cheese (tasty)
1/3 of a small onion chopped finely
1/3 cup chopped society garlic + flat leaf parsley
1 egg
enough milk to create a moist (but not wet) mixture
parmesan



Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celcius. Combine dry ingredients and then add cheese, onion and herbs and mix to combine. Mix the egg with the milk and slowly add to the muffin mixture, a bit at a time to ensure you don't create a runny mess (you want a moist consistency - not too wet and not to dry). Fill mini muffin cases to the top and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake for 10-15minutes or until golden brown.



7 COMMENTS

  1. I do love a savoury muffin. Perfect for lunch boxes. Made even better by a good pinch of heritage - blessings to your Nana. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This couldn't have popped up at a better time! I was just about to do a search for a savoury muffin recipe for my one year old. Thanks Jodi x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodi could you give the weights in grams instead of cups? I'd love to try these but the Brit in me needs grams and kgs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1 cup of flour = 110g.

      Useful online resource: http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/tools.measures/measures.cfm

      Delete
  4. Any suggestions for cheese substitutes for the dairy intolerant?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo Sounds Yummy!!! I have to make these for my husband one weekend!

    Melanie | Toots + Dill

    ReplyDelete

© 2014 Jodi Wilson. You may not take images or content from this site without written permission.